Help earn money for the Town of Sharon AND protect the environment!
Learn more at:
Green Community Public Forum
with MA Dept. of Energy Resources
Thurs., April 6th at 7pm
Sharon Community Center Ballroom
The Town of Sharon will be voting on two warrant articles at the May 1st 2017 Town Meeting that can lead to the State designating Sharon as a Green Community.
What does Green Community mean?
What are the warrant articles we are considering?
Green Community is a State initiative to help towns through the process of lowering their energy use and signing on to renewable forms of energy.
Each Green Community is eligible for multiple grants from the State Department of Energy Resources (DOER). In fact, the 185 towns and cities that have achieved Green Community status have received $67M in grants from the state already.
Here’s what Sharon stands to gain from the State if the town gets the Green Community status:
- $160,000+/- in initial energy efficiency Green Communities Designation Grant funding
- Eligibility for up to $250,000 per year in future Green Communities Competitive Grant energy efficiency grant funding
- Assistance with developing and implementing policies that will help our town reduce energy usage, both electricity and fossil fuels while promoting a clean, affordable and resilient energy future for the Commonwealth
To find out what can be done with these grants click here to see what the other 185 Green Community towns have done.
To achieve the Green Community status the Town of Sharon must complete five criteria and submit the application to the DOER this coming November. At the Town Meeting in May we will be considering two of the criteria.
- Provide as-of-right siting in designated locations for renewable/alternative energy generation, research & development, or manufacturing facilities.
- Set requirements to minimize life-cycle energy costs for new construction by adopting the new Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) Stretch Code.
If these two criteria pass then the town can consider moving forward with the Green Community application come November.