You can make a difference here – proposed Massachusetts House bill H. 3983, An Act to Create a 2050 Roadmap To a Clean and Thriving Commonwealth, is a critical “sustainable bill” that needs a little help to push on through the legislative process. It needs to go be heard and approved by the House Ways and Means Committee, chaired by Rep. Michlewitz, before the November break. The bill does the following:
- strengthens the 2050 state goal from 80% carbon emissions reduction to net zero (100% net reduction), per the latest science;
- sets interim state goals for 2030 and 2040, which would then be enforceable under the GWSA; and
- requires the state to prepare a plan to get there
This bill is a gem, supported by a multitude of environmental groups including The Sierra Club and Mass. Power Forward. You can, please:
- Contact our state Representative Lou Kafka to be sure he co-sponsors the bill. He is currently not a co-sponsor, but he will have an opportunity to do so since the bill has been renumbered from H.832 and will seek a new set of co-sponsors.
- Ask Representative Kafka to not only co-sponsor but reach out to state House Ways and Means Chair Micklewitz and urge him to schedule H.3983 for a hearing before the November break.
Representative Kafka’s contact information – phone 617-722-2960, email@example.com
We need to act locally, cannot depend upon good, necessary things to happen at the federal level. Your actions make a significant impact at the state and local level.