Please join Sustainable Sharon Coalition for a Plastic Free October!
Plastic Free October is Sustainable Sharon Coalition’s challenge for our town to see if we can give up one of the Big 4 plastics each week in October: bags, bottles, cups, and straws.
The goal is to increase awareness of the amount of single-use disposable plastic we use every day. It challenges us to refuse, reduce, reuse, and find sustainable alternatives to disposable plastics as a community.
Did you know that Sharon residents use and dispose of an average of 28,000 straws a day, 20,000 single use plastic bags a day, and those are just 2 of the Big 4 plastics?
Here is the schedule for the challenge:
- Week 1 (October 1 – 6) – Plastic Bags
- Week 2 (October 7 – 13) – Plastic Bottles
- Week 3 (October 14 – 20) – Plastic Cups
- Week 4 (October 21 – 27) – Plastic Straws
- Week 5 (October 28 – 31) – Go Cold Turkey for 4 days and avoid all single use plastics
Can You Be Plastic Free on Halloween? Yes, you can!
How can you participate?
- Go to our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SustainableSharon/ and click that you are Interested in the event.
- Visit our Facebook page, Instagram or Twitter to find daily tips on how to be plastic free and for info on upcoming Plastic Free events.
- Post a photo, comment, question, idea, or tip to this event, to Sustainable Sharon Coalition’s Instagram or Twitter and #SSCplasticfree as often as you can. Give a shout out to someone you see being plastic free! Challenge your friends and neighbors to see who can post more! Get creative!
- Come to a Plastic Free October event! More info to come…