The SSC is working to improve Sharon’s current trash program by implementing the SMART Program.
SMART (Save Money and Reduce Trash) Program Goals:
- Reduce waste and increase reuse & recycling
- Provide affordable solid waste services
- Implement a more equitable system
SSC 2016 Trash Proposal to Town of Sharon:
- Each household would receive a 35 gallon trash cart as a standard practice.
- Weekly recycling pickup.
- Overflow options would be available for purchase.
*PAYT=Pay As You Throw. SMART=Save Money and Reduce Trash
Did you know?
- In Sharon, all residents pay the same per household price for service, regardless of the amount of waste generated.
- SMART communities like Milton and North Attleboro generate 40% less trash per household compared with Sharon.
A few facts about Sharon’s trash:
- Residents generated 1,878 lbs. of trash per household in 2013. That’s more than 36 lbs. of trash per week, every week.
- Sharon’s trash is burned at an incinerator in West Wareham, MA hence we are adding to air pollutants and climate change. Ironically, the discarded trash from our homes is still filled with materials that can be recycled or composted.
- For every ton of waste we create, we are really using 70 more tons of upstream waste from mining, manufacturing, and distribution. This is not sustainable.
- As households, we pay high costs for our poor waste management: ~$70 for every ton of trash burned, along with collection costs.
- We also pay high environmental costs since we are wasting non-renewable natural resources.
SMART Trash Resources:
- “In Dealing With Trash, SSC gives Sharon a Grade of “D.” The Time to Rethink is Here.” by Dr. Ricky S. Stern, Sustainable Sharon Coalition. Posted in Sharon Advocate
- Sharon FYI video explaining the SMART Trash Program
- Sharon Town Forum: SMART Trash Program (VIDEO)
- Mass DEP Case Studies of Ashland & Wrentham Trash Programs
- Educational videos: impact on environment
- Archived video explaining the SMART Trash Program
Tips on Reducing Trash: